Zolertia RE-Mote platform
The RE-Mote platform (Revision B) is a IoT Hardware development platform based on TI's CC2538 system on chip (SoC), featuring an ARM Cortex-M3 with 512KB flash, 32Kb RAM, double RF interface (Sub-1GHz CC1200 RF transceiver), and the following goodies:
- ISM 2.4-GHz IEEE 802.15.4 & Zigbee compliant.
- ISM 868-, 915-, 920-, 950-MHz ISM/SRD Band.
- AES-128/256, SHA2 Hardware Encryption Engine.
- ECC-128/256, RSA Hardware Acceleration Engine for Secure Key Exchange.
- Power consumption down to 150nA using our shutdown mode.
- Flashing over BSL without requiring to press any button to enter bootloader mode.
- Built-in battery charger (500mA), Energy Harvesting and Solar Panels to be connected to standards LiPo batteries.
- Power input with wide range 3.7-16VDC.
Changes from Revision A
The list of changes are summarized in the Wiki
In terms of hardware support, the following drivers have been implemented:
- CC2538 System-on-Chip:
- Random number generator
- Low Power Modes
- General-Purpose Timers
- I2C/SPI library
- RF switch to programatically drive either 2.4GHz or sub-1GHz to a single RP-SMA
- RF 2.4GHz built-in in CC2538
And under work or pending at cc2538 base cpu:
* Built-in core temperature and battery sensor. * CC1200 sub-1GHz radio interface. * Micro-SD external storage. * ADC * USB (in CDC-ACM). * uDMA Controller.
- Toolchain to compile RIOT for the CC2538
- Drivers to enable your host to communicate with the platform
- Built-in BSL programming over USB using cc2538-bsl (included)
Install a Toolchain
The toolchain used to build is arm-gcc, to check if it is currently installed run:
$ arm-none-eabi-gcc -v Using built-in specs. Target: arm-none-eabi Configured with: /scratch/julian/lite-respin/eabi/src/gcc-4.3/configure ... (skip) ... Thread model: single gcc version 4.3.2 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2008q3-66)
Else install from https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
The RE-Mote features a CP2104 serial-to-USB module, the driver is commonly found in most OS, but if required it can be downloaded from https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx
For the CC2538EM (USB CDC-ACM)
The RE-Mote has built-in support for USB 2.0 USB, Vendor and Product IDs are the following:
- VID 0x0451
- PID 0x16C8
On Linux and OS X this is straightforward, on windows you need to install the following driver:
And replace the IDs accordingly.
For the UART, serial line settings are 115200 8N1, no flow control.
Once all drivers have been installed correctly:
On windows, devices will appear as a virtual
On Linux, devices will appear under
On OS X,
- RE-Mote over CP2104:
- RE-Mote over USB driver (in CDC-ACM):
ttyACMn(n=0, 1, ....)